The history of our parish is a lovely story!
A brief history of the parish
The parish has become what it is after passing through various stages since the 19th century: the starting point, a chapel (1834). Then she grew up around two churches (1886 and 1955), three presbyteries (1834 1845 1887). She put different names: Saint-Philippe (1831), St. Gregory VII (1832), The Immaculate Conception (1838), St. Patrick (1845) and Marie-Reine-du-Monde (1955).
Today, this place of worship, a welcoming and originally decorated church, is visited every Sunday by a large number of faithful and generous parishioners, belonging to several ethnic groups, who attend either the 9:00 a.m. Mass in English or the 10:30 a.m. Mass in French.
The builders of this great parish, as well as all those who continue to work for its preservation in good condition and its spiritual influence, deserve the gratitude of the Roman Catholic population of Rawdon.
Fundraisers help ensure the necessary repairs to the maintenance of the church and the parsonage, and inter-churches projects supported by the Anglican communities, Catholic and United Rawdon bring to distant populations on other continents the support they need to get supplies, including drinking water. This generosity also contributes to helping youth and other members of the human community, our sisters and brothers in Jesus Christ.
More detailed information
From 1816 to 1829 the first Irish Catholic families were served by the church of St. Jacques and St. Paul, as well as missionary priests of Montreal.
It is from 1830 that the parish of Saint-Jacques became responsible for Rawdon, with the help of a missionary of Montreal, Mr. James Moore, appointed to serve anglophones in the region.
The arrival of many Irish in subsequent years marked the evolution of what eventually became the Roman Catholic parish in Rawdon. Several years passed, and its location was the subject of negotiations - there were disagreements - so that the first Mass was celebrated in the new chapel in 1834.
The first church, built in 1837, was located on the site of the current cemetery on Morgan Street, became the Chemin du Lac Morgan. It was called St. Gregory the Great. A few months later, the first parsonage was built up against the chapel to house the priests priests who, until then, had been housed in the sacristy of the presbytery. In 1837, the first priest, Father Dennis Mc Reavy, was given the charge of Kildare St. Philip and St. Gregory the Great of Rawdon. Although Rawdon became an independent parish, the priest was living there part time. In 1840, it gave the parish a new name, that of the Immaculate Conception. One must first parish registers for the Cure Mc Reavy.
In March 1837, the first baptism was celebrated that of Thomas Boilen. Then came the burial Éléza Moore, followed by the first marriage, that of John and Catherine Doherty Tanzy. Following the appointment of the first Board of the factory consists of John Carroll, Luke Daly and Luc Dupuis.
The presence of a resident priest was short-lived (1837-1841). Between 1841 and 1844, Catholics went to Saint-Jacques, and until the arrival of Fr. J. Cholette, named pastor in 1844.
In 1845, a second presbytery, most beautiful and largest, was built on Queen Street, following new subdivision lots for the village site and also because of the impossibility of relocating the old rectory.
It is also in 1845 that changed for the fourth time, the boss holder of the parish. A query of the churchwardens and the parish priest was sent to Bishop Ignace Bourget, Bishop of Montreal, to request the change. The parish is now called Saint Patrick, which was very popular with Irish Catholics.
1882 is an important date because it is the year of the canonical and civil recognition of the parish of St. Patrick Rawdon, Montcalm County, judicial district of Joliette.
It is also in 1882 that the project to build a new more central church, to meet a growing population, was quickly approved by decree by Bishop Edouard-Charles Fabre, Bishop of Montreal. Although Bishop Fabre has made important requirements, churchwardens accepted, and construction began in spring 1884. The new church was inaugurated in June 1887 the construction of a new parsonage next to the church, having been made at the same time. The former rectory was moved to the grounds of the church and became the home of the beadle. This second church, 1886-1956, built on the current site, continued to call Saint Patrick.
The Catholic Diocese of Joliette was founded in 1904. Since then, the Catholic parish of Rawdon made from this diocese.
Mr. Bishop Vincent Piette priest arrived in 1939, continued on the same path as its predecessor, the priest Louis Beaudry, and planned to build a larger church. The war put a stop to the project, as well as disagreements about construction costs. Finally, the new church construction started in August 1954.
This third church, the present church, has two names: Marie-Reine-du-Monde and Saint Patrick. It was inaugurated at Christmas 1955 and was blessed by Bishop Edward Jetté, apostolic administrator of the diocese of Joliette, August 19, 1956.
Rawdon, already recognized by its diverse ethnic groups lived an important commercial and industrial development. Add that Rawdon was also known and visited by many tourists eager to see the famous and beautiful waterfalls Dorwin. It is always thus.
Since the last sixty years, parish life has run its course, thanks to the presence of different bilingual * priests assigned to the direction of the parish, which also incorporated the outcome liturgy of the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965).
Various improvements, expansion and beautification of the church, rectory and cemetery were supported by different manufactures Councils.
In 2015, the parish is doing very well, is active and alive. It is a jewel of the Diocese of Joliette.
Marcel Fournier, Rawdon : 175 ans d’histoire, 1974.
Gérard Brady, Une bien belle histoire 1837-1987, 1987.
Gérard Brady, Rawdon , mon village, 1995.
L’art en église, 2005.
Archives of the parish.